[APWG] Without perennial native grass understory, then Basketgrass just the start of problems

Craig Dremann craig at astreet.com
Wed Oct 10 11:29:55 CDT 2007

Dear Marc and All,

Thanks for your note on the exotic wavy basketgrass filling in the
ecosystem vacancies in the Maryland forest understory.

Has anyone done any megatransect surveys of the Eastern forest native
perennial grass understory?

I did some sample megatransects in 2000-2005,  from Delaware to
Washington DC, and then Georgia to Alabama, and found that the native
perennial grass understory, that should be solid under all those trees,
were largely absent---like what my 1997 megatransect showed here in the
Western states at http://www.ecoseeds.com/megatransect.html.

I'm very concerned, that unless the original native perennial grass
understory is replanted densely throughout North America,  at least one
or more exotic species of grass that will just love to live in that
empty niche.

Without a major investment in a rapid replanting of North America's
perennial native grass understory---today we will be battling
basketgrass and tomorrow it will be something else, because as long as
the perennial native grasses are absent, the ecosystems will be
continually vulnerable to exotic invasions.

Is anyone else researching this issue, of the importance of restoring
the perennial native grass understory in North America?

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann, Redwood City, CA (650) 325-7333