[APWG] BLM -- EXOTIC-FREE by 2011, by starting to cut 33%/year??

Craig Dremann craig at astreet.com
Wed May 16 17:02:37 CDT 2007

Dear Bob and All,

Thanks for your email.

Be assured that I'm not discussing any intentionally-sown exotic plants
in any Agricultural Fields--I'm talking about any Federal agency that is
annually sowing exotic seeds, onto Public Wildlands.

Would the professional botanists or ecologists on this List agree, that
a very good science-based policy, would be to avoid intentionally sowing
exotic seeds onto our public native ecosystems, or along our public
roadsides, where they can permanently displace what's left of the native
ecosystems in North America?

I'm not suggesting that we try and eradicate all of the hundreds of
millions of acres of exotics that have already been sown onto our public
lands or along roadsides--just that we stop intentionally sowing any
more exotics into our public land's native ecosystems, because we know
better.

The annual purchases of exotic seeds by BLM, could be cut by 33% every
year, starting in 2007, so that the agency could become EXOTIC-FREE by
2011.

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann, Redwood City, CA (650) 325-7333