[APWG] [PCA] QUESTION: Wildflower Seed Postcards (fwd)

Olivia Kwong plant at plantconservation.org
Tue May 1 12:41:44 CDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 13:25:20 -0400
From: Mary_Byrne at blm.gov
Subject: Re: [PCA] QUESTION: Wildflower Seed Postcards

This sounds like an education opportunity well worth tapping into. What
companies are making these postcards?  Could PCA contact them and provide
guidance on the appropriate language and pictures needed to clearly educate
the public on how and where to plant the seeds?

I understand that the seeds could fall into the hands of someone that might
not read all instructions clearly, just as easily as a newly converted
native plant enthusiast. However, I think it is important to keep in mind
that these packets are already being sold (minus proper instructions),
there are hundreds of internationally circulating seed catalogs, and that
with a quick Google search and mouse clicks propagative material of almost
any plant can be bought and shipped.

Lew and Becky  - if you were suggesting forming a smaller working group to
look into this, I would be interested.

Mary K. Byrne
Seeds of Success
National Collections Data Manager
202-452-7767
www.nps.gov/plants/sos/

              Steve Erickson
              <wean at whidbey.net
              Sent by:                  apwg at lists.plantconservation.org,
              native-plants-bou         native-plants at lists.plantconservati
              nces at lists.plantc         on.org, plant at plantconservation.org
              onservation.org                                            cc

                                                                    Subject
              05/01/2007 01:02          Re: [PCA] QUESTION: Wildflower Seed
              PM                        Postcards

I like the postcard idea, but the problem with seeds is that
people visit US National Parks from all over the world. So if
seeds are distributed in, say, a park in California, they might
be picked up by people from Texas, New York, New Zealand,
Poland, and Brasil! They take them home and plant them. Then
these people either forget about them or marvel at how well
they do in their gardens and pass them on to their friends.
Thus do weeds inadvertantly become introduced.
-Steve Erickson
Frosty Hollow Ecological Restoratiom
> I'm not sure what Bill suggests we're not to forget, but
providing
> valuable information and area specific wildflower seeds,
pictures as
> suggested by Becky sounds like an outline for a national
program.

plant at plantconservation.org
> cc
> native-plants at lists.plantconservation.org,
> apwg at lists.plantconservation.org
> Subject
> Re: [PCA] QUESTION: Wildflower Seed Postcards
>

> I profoundly disagree.  We all started somewhere- don't
forget that.

>   William Schlegel
>

>>From: "Becky Erickson" <beckyerick at socket.net>
>>To: "Steve Erickson" <wean at whidbey.net>,"Olivia Kwong"
>><plant at plantconservation.org>
>>CC: native-plants at lists.plantconservation.org,
>>apwg at lists.plantconservation.org
>>Subject: Re: [PCA] QUESTION: Wildflower Seed
Postcards
>>Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 00:13:11 -0500
>>
>>I agree -
>>The general public does not know wild seed should be
planted in
> December
>>germinate. Fewer know what the seedlings look like and
fewer yet know
> the
>>specific habitat of most wild species. How many people know
that Iris
>>virginicus takes about 4 months to stratify (cold/wet), then
needs to
> be
>>planted in a moist/wet, sunny spot such as a rain garden? If
this
> habitat
>
>>is
>>good, it will bloom the second year. It is a mystery to most
that
> Indian
>>paintbrush is an annual that needs other native plants to
parasitize.
> Blue
>>columbine is indigenous to montaine wetlands (high altitude
moist
> soils).
>>Gaillardia and Oenethera usually prefer dry sandy soil in full
sun; if
> sent
>>to be planted in damp clay soils of the Midwest, they
certainly won't
>>persist.  And on and on . . .    I think it is absurd to use
these
> valuable
>>seeds to be "thrown to the wind" (sent to people ignorant
of their
> value
> or
>>habitat needs). Usually these seeds will be sent to people
and places
> where
>>they won't persist so they can't really be considered alien
invasives,
> but
>>what a waste!!!!!!!!
>>
>>A postcard with a good photo of the plant, their
cultural/habitat needs
> and
>>encouragement to visit the plants in their ecoregion printed
would be
> of
>>far
>>greater benefit toward the education of the uninitiated
than to send
> them
>>seeds that need to be used in the region they came from.
>>Becky Erickson
>>Retired Missouri Ecotype Program Coordinator
>>Ashland MO 65010-0496

sense.
>>| The NPS should know better than to sell these things.
>>| -Steve Erickson
>>| Frosty Hollow Ecological Restoration
>>| ==================================================
>>| discussion.

>>| recently got an
>>| Service National
the
>>| product in
National
>>| Parks, it
parts of
>>| the world.
Wild
>>| Iris, Indian
>>| Columbine.
sell
>>| similar
>>| cards made from
know
>>| that people
postcard
>>| products
general
>>| public and
>>| There's also

any
>>| regulations
>>| impossible to
not

> Mortgage rates near historic lows. Refinance $200,000 loan
for as low as
> $771/month*

https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=
%2fst.jsp&tm=y&

search=mortgage_text_links_88_h27f8&disc=y&vers=689&s=
4056&p=5117

plants_lists.