[APWG] FW: Mile-A-Minute, Polygonum perfoliatum

Bob Beyfuss rlb14 at cornell.edu
Tue Jul 17 10:44:40 CDT 2007

Hi All
I am not familiar with the mile a minute vine eating weevil but here in NY
a colleague of mine at Cornell University, Bernd Blossy in conjunction with
our conservation department released purple loosestrife eating beetles as
long as 16 years ago. I considered this bio control program a failure until
this year. I am not sure why, but this year the purple loosestrife is 99%
gone from literally thousands of acres of wetlands, roadsides and virtually
everywhere it had become established within my county. It may take many
years for such releases to work but this year the effect is almost
astonishing.
I also am pleased to read that some people realize that broad spectrum
herbicide applications to eradicate invasive plants may do far more harm
than good by creating biological vacuums which will soon be quickly
colonized by other invasive plants while inadvertently killing some of the
plants one wants to preserve in the first place.  I think resource managers
need to focus more on what is the desired outcome of any actions they take
before they take them. Simply killing invasive plants for the sake of
killing them (gratification?) is not necessarily, in my opinion, a desired
outcome unless one can accurately predict what will replace them when they
are gone. Assuming desirable native plants will automatically become
reestablished once the exotic invaders are killed is a naive
assumption.  Think before you spray!
Bob