[APWG] "Native plant" definitions of government agencies?

Philip A. Thomas (HEAR) pt at hear.org
Tue Jun 27 12:52:25 CDT 2006

Craig,

It would be interesting to know the specific errors to which you refer.

If we assume the basic concept of the newly-proposed revision is
correct, you might want to try "The indigenous plant species, both
aquatic and terrestrial, of a particular area that are natural members
of the local ecosystem" (to put the phrase "both aquatic and
terrestrial" adjacent to its respective noun [vs. adjacent to "area,"
which it seems to {ambiguously} modify] in your proposed structure).

What's wrong with saying that a native plant "evolved naturally" in an
ecosystem?

(Actually, I would suggest defining native plants as those that "arrived
and live [or have lived] in a particular area/ecosystem without the
direct or indirect influence of humans."

I'm very interested in hearing your comments about this.

Aloha,
Philip Thomas
pt at hear.org - http://www.hear.org/personnel/pt/
Hawaiian Ecosystems at Risk project (HEAR)
http://www.hear.org/

--
     Philip A. Thomas - Hawaiian Ecosystems at Risk project (HEAR)
    pt at hear.org - P.O. Box 1272, Puunene (Maui), Hawaii  96784  USA