[APWG] Fw: Japanese knotweed workshop

Jil_Swearingen at nps.gov Jil_Swearingen at nps.gov
Fri Jul 28 09:22:02 CDT 2006

----- Forwarded by Jil Swearingen/NCR/NPS on 07/28/2006 10:21 AM -----

                      Bernd Blossey
                      <bb22 at cornell.edu        To:       Recipient List Suppressed:;
                      >                        cc:       (bcc: Jil Swearingen/NCR/NPS)
                                               Subject:  Japanese knotweed workshop
                      07/27/2006 04:21
                      PM AST

INVITATION

Japanese knotweed workshop

Cornell University, Ithaca New York

October 11-12, 2006

Japanese knotweed is considered one of the most invasive and ecologically
damaging introduced plant species in North America.  Present day
populations of Japanese knotweed consist of Fallopia japonica (Japanese
knotweed), F. sacchalinensis(Giant knotweed) and their hybrid F. x bohemica
.  This two-day workshop is intended to review the current status of
research on spread, genetics, and impacts of Japanese knotweed and then
present updates on control methods (mechanical, chemical and biological).
A discussion of needs in furthering the development of biological control
and integrated control methods will close the meeting.

This workshop is intended both for researchers as well as land managers. We
strongly encourage such interactions but the meeting will be limited to
about 100 participants and have a focus on the East Coast (due to the
location of the meeting).  We strongly encourage graduate students to
present their work.  Talks will last approximately 15-20 minutes.  Please
contact Bernd Blossey (bb22 at cornell.edu) if you wish to attend and we will
provide additional details.  Those wanting to present a talk, please
provide a title and 3-4 sentence summary.

The meeting will be hosted by the Ecology and Management of Invasive Plants
Program and is co-sponsored by the US Forest Service, Forest Health
Protection.  There will be no registration charges but attendants will have
an option to order catered lunches.

To sign up or for additional information and inquiries please contact:

Dr. Bernd Blossey
Department of Natural Resources
Fernow Hall, Cornell University
Ithaca, New York 14853
Phone: 607-255-5314
Email: bb22 at cornell.edu

Updates and the workshop program will be posted on: www.invasiveplants.net

Please distribute and I apologize for any cross-postings
--

Dr. Bernd Blossey
Associate Professor and Director
Ecology and Management of Invasive Plants Program
Department of Natural Resources
202 Fernow Hall, Cornell University
Ithaca, New York 14853
USA