[APWG] Whole continent missing its native understory, and needs restoration

Bill Stringer bstrngr at CLEMSON.EDU
Wed Jan 18 14:05:30 CST 2006

Craig, a major villain in the loss of native herbaceous grasses and forbs
is the much lower burn frequency that came with the decline (kind word) in
Native American populations starting in the 16th century.  Landscape
burning dropped off drastically in some areas, and the vegetation rapidly
moved to climax forest (closed canopies).  The only places we find
significant perennial native grasses and forbs are along managed
rights-of-way where the natural tendency to oak-hickory climax forest is
held in check by regular mowing and/or herbicides.  Fortunately state and
federal forest agencies are restoring something approaching historical fire
frequency on areas of public land under their jurisdiction.

We (SC Native Plant Society) played a major role in convincing and
expediting USFS's conversion from exotic species to native species for
disturbed land re-vegetation in the National Forests in SC.  We facilitated
their development of local source native grass seed supplies to use in
their work.  USFS in SC is now almost pursuing an herbaceous natives
restoration program in re-vegetating disturbed sites.

Of course, clear-land agriculture, exotic-based pastures and beef
production, pine plantations and wide-spread urban sprawl add to the
pressure on habitat for native grasses and forbs.

Bill Stringer

William C. Stringer
Forage Agronomist &
Native Plant Enthusiast