[APWG] WEB: European Alien Species Expertise Registry - not just Euros invited!

Olivia Kwong plant at plantconservation.org
Wed Jan 18 09:14:09 CST 2006

----- Message from Wolfgang Nentwig <wolfgang.nentwig at zos.unibe.ch> on
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:37:16 +0100 -----
To: aliens-l at indaba.iucn.org
Subject: Re: [Aliens-L] European Alien Species Expertise Registry

Dear colleagues

Within the actual EU project DAISIE
http://www.europe-aliens.org
a European Alien Species Expertise Registry has now been established. This
registry intends to collect the expertise of experts which may be useful
to gather the knowledge on those species which are actually alien in
Europe or may become so. Thus, unlike its title, we want to gather the
expertise of experts from all over the world, since species alien to
Europe come from all over the world.

The expertise registry contains details for individual experts with
respect to taxonomic expertise, geographic units, and thematic areas (e.g.
distribution, conservation, restoration, ecology, economical impact,
genetics, legislation, administration, management, control, biocontrol,
pathways, transportation, physiology, risk assessment, taxonomy,
systematics).

The expertise registry has only now been set up and grows. We hope to
include already within this year a relevant part of experts and expertise.
This will enable us to analyse this expertise and to draw conclusions. One
of our goals is a paper which may become a political postulation to
ameliorate the expertise in those areas where it is not sufficient. You
see, it may also become important for yourself, in the long run, to be
included into our registry.

Please take the time to register at http://daisie.ckff.si
the registry should be self explanatory, and it will take you only 5
minutes. Forward this message to other experts which may not have been
reached by this mail.

Many thanks and best regards
Wolfgang Nentwig