[APWG] Fw: Kudzu sites in the northeastern US

pankaj oudhia pankajoudhia at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 00:09:01 CST 2006

Hi Jil,
     I am eager to share our experiences with another species of Kudzu i.e. Pueraria tuberosa. It is present in our forest. And  it is collected in bulk every year by the herb traders. Dry tubers are exported. Locally also it is used by the natives and traditional healers. Please visit at

  Interactions with the natives of Tilda (Chhattisgarh, India) region having rich traditional medicinal knowledge about common herbs

http://botanical.com/site/column_poudhia/55_tilda.html

  The regular collection of tubers is managing its wild spread in forest.  Is American Kudzu having any such uses?

  regards
  Pankaj Oudhia

Jil_Swearingen at nps.gov wrote:
  Hi Heather,

Thanks for contacting me about your research project on the cold tolerance
of kudzu. Although kudzu is much more common in the Southeast, it certainly
occurs in numerous sites in the mid-Atlantic region, Northeast and
elsewhere in areas that freeze.

I'm forwarding your message to list-serves of the Alien Plant Working Group
and Mid-Atlantic Exotic Pest Plant Council so that members of these groups
can contact you as soon as possible about kudzu locations you may be
interested in. There are several very accessible sites right here in the
Washington DC Metropolitan area if you are interested in collecting
material here and I'd be happy to help you get to them or send you
material.

Please let us know how else we can assist you and keep us informed of your
progress on this interesting project.

Thank you,

Jil

*******************************
JIL M SWEARINGEN
Invasive Species and
Pest Management Coordinator

NATIONAL PARK SERVICE
National Capital Region
Center for Urban Ecology
4598 MacArthur Blvd., NW
Washington DC 20007
Phone/ 202-342-1443, ex. 218
Fax/ 202-282-1031
Jil_Swearingen at nps.gov

WEEDS GONE WILD Web Page
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien

"Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you."
...Frank Lloyd Wright

----- Forwarded by Jil Swearingen/NCR/NPS on 01/10/2006 05:05 PM -----

coiner at botany.uto
ronto.ca To: jil_swearingen at nps.gov
cc:
01/10/2006 04:36 Subject: Kudzu sites in the northeastern US
PM EST

Dear Jil Swearingen,

I am a graduate student at the University of Toronto interested in
investigating the cold tolerance of kudzu and the mechanisms limiting its
range to the north.

We are interested in finding kudzu site locations on the northern part of
its range, that is, from Maryland northwards, where we can collect
cold-acclimated roots for freezing studies. Due to the necessity of
having cold-acclimated material, we were hoping to go down as soon as
possible. We are very grateful for any information you may provide us
with! Please feel free to forward this message to anyone who you feel may
be able to help.

Regards,
Heather Coiner

PS: Please remember the IPANE contact!

Disclaimer
Any requests, advice or opinions posted to this list reflect ONLY the opinion of the individual posting the message.