[APWG] goat grazing

Scott Ruhren sruhren at asri.org
Mon Nov 28 12:23:09 CST 2005

True, grazers of all shapes and sizes (from snails to grasshoppers to deer)
if given a variety of foods can/will be more choosy. One solution to limit
goat access to sensitive areas or plants is to utilize movable corrals
employed by some land mangers and farmers. The enclosure can be moved to
areas of concern for weed management. As Margaret suggests I would caution
against free-ranging goats. In a section of pasture in a larger preserve
that we manage, there are no new autumn olive (Elaeagnus umbellata) a
species that we have managed in ungrazed fields. The small herd of 9 cattle
eat all new recruits but also eat nearly anything green and soft! This is an
issue we are dealing with and warns us against moving the cows to other
fields.

By the way, I would love to hear about knapweed control agents other than
insects released by USDA et al.

Scott

---
Scott Ruhren, Ph.D.