[APWG] Ivy distribution in your region

Tara Ramsey tsramsey at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 16:15:59 CDT 2005

Hello,

I am a PhD student at the University of Washington, studying the
invasive biology of English ivy (Hedera spp., Araliaceae).  The
occurrence of invasive ivy populations is well known in the Pacific
Northwest but the species has been reported anecdotally from other
regions as well.  I am constructing a distribution map of ivy so that
the overall scope of invasion can be accessed.

I am wondering if you could help identify ivy populations in your
regions, or if you know someone better able to address this issue, to
forward them this message.

My questions are:
1.  Are you aware of any feral populations occurring in natural areas
in your region?  In which counties do they occur?

2.  Do you have any information on where these populations are
located, how large the populations are, and if they have reached
reproductive maturity?

3.  Do you have a qualitative assessment of the overall "threat" posed
by ivy in your area?

On a related note, we have found that invasive ivy is often
misidentified in the Pacific Northwest.  Although generally called
Hedera helix, the main invader is actually the closely related H.
hibernica.  Obviously, proper taxonomic identification is an important
foundation for preventing spread of this species in the future.

I am thus putting out the word that I would welcome live cuttings from
invasive populations.  If you or someone you know may be interested in
participating in this project, please contact me for additional
information.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Sincerely,

Tara Ramsey  tsf at u.washington.edu