[APWG] Saharan mustard seed samples and Emergency Meeting in Barstow Aug. 30

Craig Dremann craig at ecoseeds.com
Fri Jul 22 11:23:56 CDT 2005

Dear All,

You can see pictures of the 2005 catastrophic infestation of the desert
Southwest, by the Saharan mustard (Brassica tournefortii) at
http://www.ecoseeds.com/mustards.html

I'm investigating the possibility that the Saharan mustard's SW desert
infestations, and subsequent dozens of Arizona desert firestorms this
year, have been caused by the accidental release of a cultivar of that
plant, as it is grown in India and Pakistan as an oilseed, and it has
been used for breeding new Canola varieties.

ARIZONA COUNTIES NEEDED: I'm trying to get at least one Saharan Mustard
seed sample from every Arizona County, and am still looking for samples
from the following, by October 1st, so that I can do some genetic
testing:

Apache County
--Need sample(s) - Saint Johns vicinity, I-40

Cochise County
--Need sample(s) - Bisbee vicinity, I-10

Gila County
--Need sample(s) - Globe vicinity, US 60 or US 70

Graham County
--Need sample(s) - Safford vicinity, US 70, US 191

Greenlee County
--Need sample(s) - Clifton vicinity, US 191

Mojave County
--Need sample(s) - Kingman vicinity, I-40 , US 93

Navajo County
--Need sample(s) - Holbrook vicinity, I-40 or any roads in Hopi or
Navajo Reservation

Pima County
--Need sample(s) - east of Tucson along I-10, south of Tucson along I-19

Pinal County
--Need sample(s) - Florence vicinity, I-8, I-10, Ariz. Hwy. 79

Santa Cruz County
--Need sample(s) - Nogales vicinity, I-19

Yavapai County
--Need sample(s) - Prescott vicinity, I-40, I-17, near National Forests,
Ariz. Hwy 89

COLLECTING PROTOCOL:  The collecting, cleaning and seed labeling
protocol is outlined at http://www.ecoseeds.com/mustards.genetics.html
and I will be grateful for any samples that can be collected.

PICTURES: Any pictures, either emailed digital or prints that could
accompany the seed samples, to show the infestation at the seed
collection site, would also be extremely useful.

RANGE INFORMATION WITHIN COUNTY: And any range information, on where the
infestations were found to be the thickest in each County, and where the
edges are, is also 24K gold information that I would be grateful to
receive.

EMERGENCY MEETING AUG. 30th -- There's a free, one-day Emergency Meeting
about the Saharan Mustard on August 30th in Barstow, California, funded
by the Federal Highways Administration, and hosted by the Mojave Desert
Manager's group, and you can register at
http://www.dmg.gov/announcements.php?id=52

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann, Redwood City Seed Company
Box 609, Redwood City, CA 94064 (650) 325-7333