[APWG] LA Times article promoting invasive plant

Plant Conservation plant at plantconservation.org
Wed Jul 20 08:59:37 CDT 2005

From: CA-NATIVESCLYPTEANNA.COM (CA Natives List)

----------------------------------

Last week (Thursday July 14th, 2005) in the Home
section of the LA Times there was a full-page feature
article in color promoting artichoke thistle (Cynara
cardunculus) for use in home gardens (see attached
PDF).  It even promotes ways to search for sellers of
the “hard to find plant” (I wonder why, maybe because
it is ILLEGAL).

The article does acknowledge the plants highly
invasive nature -  “You’ll have to do something with
the flowers because if you let them go to seed, they
will sprout all over your neighborhood, and your
neighborhood’s neighborhood.”  It goes on to say “In
climates wetter than ours, the cardoon is designated
as a noxious weed

. Because of our dry heat, cardoon
is not as invasive here.”

As we all know this plant is a serious threat to
agriculture and open space.  It is a serious threat,
even in arid areas such as southern California.
Specifically it is banned for sale in CA by CDFA and
has a B rating as a noxious weed.

It would seem Cal-IPC and other groups should write in
to the LA Times and:

1)       Request a retraction article
2)       Request coverage of “Weed Awareness Week”
right now - 18th to 22nd of July.
3)       Request an article on Cal-IPC’s “Don’t Plant
A Pest Program”

Please forward this to others who are interested in
taking action or use it to generate interest in
invasive non-native plants.  Goes to show there is
still a lot of room for educational outreach

..

http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/home/la-hm-cardoon14jul14,1,6812643.story