[APWG] Can weeds cause the collapse of civilizations?

Craig Dremann craig at ecoseeds.com
Sun Jan 9 13:31:50 CST 2005

Dear All,

I think we were all taught in school that civilization-collapse was
mostly caused by wars and enemies from without.

The new book, COLLAPSE: How Societies Choose to Fai or Succeed by Jared
Diamond, Viking press, 573 pages, is discussing how different
civilizations like the Mayans, Easter Islanders, Anasazi, etc. collapsed
because of an environmental component.

The first chapter is about Montana---not that its civilization has
collapsed so far---but the author describes the different potential
environmental problems.

Pages 53-56 discuss Montana's "Native and Non-native Species" issue:

"Montana's remaining major sets of environmental problems are the linked
ones of introductions of harmful non-native species and losses of
valuable native species.  These problems especially involve fish, deer,
and elk, and weeds..."

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann, Redwood City, California Republic
(650) 325-7333