[APWG] Are invasives scaring us into chemical complacency?

Jennifer Kalt jkalt at asis.com
Fri Dec 2 21:10:35 CST 2005

Patricia,

Apologies for the belated response. I do think that chemical complacency
  can be a result of people's intense desire to control invasive
species. An interesting article on demilitarizing invasion biology in
the Nov. issue of Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution inspired me to
respond to your original message.

I can't allay your concerns but can answer a few of your questions.

For the vast majority of pesticides used in forest settings, there are
no posting or notification requirements. In 2003, California's public
and private forestlands were sprayed with 229,134 lbs. of pesticides;
very little if any was subject to posting or notification requirements.
These chemicals are sprayed mostly to kill native vegetation that is
perceived to compete with commercial species, but the use of pesticides
for weed management is on the rise.

There is evidence that herbicides persist in plant tissue for more than
a year after spraying (see the Calif. Dept. of Pesticide Regulation's
report, "Residues of Forestry Herbicides in Plants of Interest to Native
Americans in California National Forests" at
http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/empm/pubs/forest/reports.htm).
Unfortunately, the public cannot easily avoid sprayed areas for more
than a year due to the absence of any laws requiring posting (except, as
you noted, re-entry times for employees, which are often 24-48 hours).
Although California is one of the few states with reporting
requirements, these reports are not timely (the pesticide use report for
2004 is still not available), so this system cannot be used to avoid
recently-sprayed areas.

Your concern about the LC50 being an inadequate assessment of impacts is
a very valid concern. Behavioral and reproductive damage and
carcinogenic effects are non-lethal in the immediate sense, and little
is known about long-term impacts.

I have learned that there are many problems with the pesticide
regulation system. Some chemicals are not registered for use on food
crops, yet are used in forested areas where people gather mushrooms,
berries, acorns, and other plants for food. One group of chemicals that
includes Oust, Glean, and Telar, are known to cause permanent
reproductive damage in plants, and are thus not registered for use near
agricultural crops. But they are used on forestlands, roadsides, and
other areas where rare plants and seed- and berry-producing plants
important to wildlife are likely to be impacted. Unfortunately, there
are no site-specific permits or pre-spray reviews for these chemicals,
so there is no mechanism to protect rare plants from being directly
sprayed. As Conservation Chair for the local chapter of the California
Native Plant Society, I brought to the attention of local regulators a
case of rare plant populations that were sprayed, only to be told that
the local enforcement agency does not view protecting rare and
endangered species as a requirement of pesticide regulation.

Things have gotten better since Silent Spring, to be sure--the chemicals
used today tend not to be bioaccumulators like DDT, and aerial spraying
is far less common at least here in California, which probably means
fewer impacts to streams and wetlands due to drift. But as a biologist
who has studied the issue closely for several years, I feel strongly
that we have a long way to go in terms of understanding the impacts of
pesticides, especially when you consider the unknown effetcs of
endocrine disrupting hormones. Often herbicides are considered to be a
one-time solution to invasions, when they in fact can be ineffective in
managing invasive species, or must be sprayed over and over again.
Continuing to contaminate and damage ecosystems that may never recover
without more information seems highly unwise, especially when many of
the invasive species continue to recolonize wherever land is disturbed.

As a staff botanist for the California Indian Basketweavers Association,
I have reviewed pesticide use plans, laws, and regulations relevant to
basketweavers' concerns about contamination of their weaving materials,
gathering sites, and ultimately their own health and safety. Pesticide
use on public lands is of particular concern, since basketweavers are
often members of tribes that do not have control of their ancestral
lands, and must rely on public lands for plants for traditional
purposes, including weaving, medicine, food sources, and ceremonial
purposes. If you have other questions regarding pesticide regulation and
impacts, I may be able to pass along information.

--
Jennifer Kalt
Resource Protection Associate