[APWG] fungus on Microstegium vimineum

Lisa Kruse lisakruse at rre.net
Sun Aug 21 09:33:35 CDT 2005

Hello-

I have been working on rare plant survey in the Oconee
National Forest in the Piedmont of Georgia. Yesterday I
found a small patch (maybe 20 stems) of Microstegium
vimineum with fungal fruiting bodies all over the stems
and some on the leaves. These fruiting bodies are about 2
mm tall, on slender cream-colored stalks with globose
gray-brown spore cases (?- forgive the layperson
description) on top. The Microstegium was still green, and
I couldn't ascertain whether they were going to be
prevented from flowering.

I thought this could have potential interest to those
studying control of Microstegium, so collected some samples.

I would be happy to send more detailed information about
the habitat, what the samples look like, etc. if there is
someone who thinks this find may be of value.

Thanks very much,
Lisa Kruse

--
Lisa Marie Kruse, M.S.