[APWG] Fw: frogs & roundup

jferriga jferriga at vt.edu
Fri Apr 8 17:49:48 CDT 2005

I feel obliged to add my two cents since my thesis work was an amphibian
toxicology project and one of the chemicals we investigated was the commercial
formulation of Roundup.

In our study found the LC50 of Roundup to be 20 mg/L to Rana pipiens.  We also
investigated repeated exposures of 10mg/L and lower to other amphibian spp.
tadpoles (wood frog and grey treefrog) and eggs (wood frog and American toad)
but did not find significant effects on survival.

Reylea's new study reports Roundup at a concentration of 3.8 mg/L resulted in
complete mortality of leopard frog and grey tree frog tadpoles in a day. I
haven't read the journal article yet but was forwarded this summary article
http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2005/405/2  I don't know why
the diff between our study and Reylea's but it could be spp diffs and lab
conditions - we tested species individually in tanks with sediment and water -
Reylea's tanks were designed to more closely simulate a pond ecosystem with
plankton, a mix of tadpole spp and other organisms - according to Science Now.

Other studies have reported the toxicity of glyphosate and POEA to amphibians
- I'll list the refs at the end
Roundup® herbicide contains isopropylamine (ipa) salt of glyphosate formulated
with approximately 15% POEA.  As others have mentioned, previous studies have
shown amphibians and other aquatic organisms to be particularly sensitive to
glyphosate formulations containing POEA - that is why Rodeo or similar without
POEA is recommended for  water use.

Perkins et al. [25] used the Frog Embryo Teratogenesis Assay-Xenopus (FETAX)
to determine effects of Roundup® and ipa salt of glyphosate without a POEA
surfactant.  LC5 and LC50 values of 5102 and 7299 mg/L were respectively
determined for glyphosate alone. The Roundup® herbicide LC5 and LC50 values
were 19.18 and 28.2 mg/L respectively (results reported as acid equivalent
values in Perkins study and were converted to mg/L here for comparison ).  In
a genotoxicity study, Clements et al. used the alkaline single-cell gel DNA
electrophoresis assay to examine DNA damage in Rana catesbeiana tadpoles
exposed to various concentrations of Roundup®.  Tadpoles exposed to 6.75-27.0
mg/L of  herbicide showed significant increases iin DNA and cell damage
compared to control tadpoles.

Other organisms
Gardner and Grue looked at survival of duckweed, Daphnia and rainbow trout on
nontarget wetland spp in Washington after exposure to Garlon 3A (5L/ha) and
Rodeo (1L/ha) in purple loosestrife treatment areas.  Survival of organisms
were monitored at least 24 h following application of each herbicide.  Neither
chemical was associated with significant decreases in survival of duckweed,
Daphnia or rainbow trout (although they did think Rodeo sign affected duckweed
growth 48 h after treatment).

Other studies on Ecorelevant Levels
	Newton et al. evaluated glyphosate herbicide residues in forest brush field
ecosystems in the Oregon Coast Range that were aerially treated with 3.3 kg/ha
glyphosate.  The half-life of glyphosate ranged from 10 to 27 days in foliage
and litter and 29 to 40 days in soil. The treated stream peaked at 0.27 mg/L
and decreased rapidly.  Stream sediment picked up glyphosate residues more
slowly than water but reached higher levels.  In general, concentrations were
higher and persisted longer in sediment than in water. Sorry Steve, no info on
breakdown of POEA in this study. Pond concentrations, of course are likely
higher than streams.  The Science Now article says Reylea reports that 3.8
mg/L is about the highest concentration of Roundup to be found in nature.

Amphibians are a sensitive group but are not standardly used for determining
eco-toxicity of pesticides and toxicity
of a pesticide is usually determined by testing the toxicity of the active
ingredient, not chemical formulations which include surfactants.

I recognize herbicides as effective tools in invasive plant management and we
use Roundup in our program.  We do take care to use glyphosate without POEA
formulations of herbicides when working close to water bodies (usually within
10 m) or in wet areas.  Well I don't think toxicity should be overblown, I do
think Reylea's study and others like it are good reminders that ecotoxicity is
a complex issue, (as is ecosystem management), and we should continue to
investigate toxicities to non-target organisms, esp sensitive organisms like
amphib spp.  and be judicious in our pesticide use (sorry I don't have a
formula for judicious) but I think common sense and good pesticide safety
practices are definitely in order.

Hope this helps and doesn't just muddy the water even more.

Jan Ferrigan
Invasive Plant Program Coordinator
Arlington County, VA

Some refs on glyphosate and formulations - I can't find the Lancet journal
article in my files but if I remember correctly that study estimated the
amount of Roundup used by some Japanese people to commit suicide and it was
somewhere around a cup - showing POEA is probably not a great drink

Folmar, LC, Sanders, HO, Julin AM. 1979. Toxicity of herbicide glyphosate and
several of its formulations to fish and aquatic invertebrates. Archives of
Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 8:269-278.
 Sawada, Y, Nagai Y, Yamamoto I. 1994. Probable toxicity of surface-active
agent in commercial herbicide containing glyphosate. Lancet 1:299.
Martinez, TT, Brown, K. 1991. Oral and pulmonary toxicology of the surfactant
used in Roundup herbicide. Proceedings of Western Pharmacology Society
34:43-46.
Bidwell, JR, Mann, RM. 1999. The toxicity of glyphosate and several glyphosate
formulations to four species of southwestern Australian frogs. Arch Environ
Contam Toxicol 36:193-199.
 Perkins PJ, Boermans, HJ, Stephenson, GR. 2000. Toxicity of glyphosate and
triclopyr using the frog embryo teratogenesis assay-Xenopus. Environmental
Toxicology and Chemistry 19:940-945.
Clements CS, Ralph S, Petras M. 1997. Genotoxicity of select herbicides in
Rana catesbeina tadpoles using the alkaline single-cell gel DNA
electrophoresis (comet) assay.  Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis
29:277-288.
Gardner and Grue 1996.  Effects of Rodeo and Garlon 3A on nontarget wetland
species in Central Washington.  Envir Tox and Chem Vol 15 No 4 pp 441-451

http://www.esajournals.org/esaonline/?request=get-abstract&issn=1051-0761&volume=15&issue=2&page=618