[APWG] 2005 NEWSS Meeting Jan 3-6, 2005

Jil_Swearingen at nps.gov Jil_Swearingen at nps.gov
Fri Sep 3 14:09:11 CDT 2004

Hi, Please see Bill Curran's message below announcing the 2005 Northeast
Weed Science Society Meeting and
Call for Submission of Papers (see attachments at very bottom). The meeting
will be held in Washington DC Jan 3-6, 2005.
Please note the Invasive Species Symposium scheduled for the afternoon of
Tuesday, Jan. 4.
Thank you, Jil

----- Forwarded by Jil Swearingen/NCR/NPS on 09/03/2004 09:07 AM -----

                      "William Curran"
                      <wsc2 at psu.edu>           To:
                                               cc:
                      09/03/2004 07:28         Subject:  Sept. 10 deadline
                      AM AST

Dear NEWSS members:

This is a reminder to get your paper titles to me by Sept. 10, 2004.
You should email (wcurran at psu.edu) or mail (address below) them to me by
the deadline.  I have attached title submission forms to this email or
you can download them from the NEWSS website (www.NEWSS.org).  I'm
looking forward to receiving those titles! Here's some more information
about the conference.

The annual meeting at the Capital Hilton in Washington DC begins on
January 3 and ends on January 6, 2005.  I encourage you to participate.
We have a great meeting planned and you should be part of it.  The
program theme for the 2005 meeting is "Finding Solutions for Managing
Today's Weeds".  To start things off, the General Session Tuesday
morning will feature Dr. Sharlene Matten with the USEPA.  Dr. Matten
will discuss EPA's perspective on pesticide registration policy as well
as the regulatory potential for herbicide resistance management. This
should set the stage for the General Symposium on Wednesday afternoon
which will focus on managing herbicide resistant weeds.  Dr. Carol
Mallory-Smith current WSSA President-Elect from Oregon State University
will provide the current status and outlook for herbicide resistance.
She will focus on what's happening globally, nationally, and regionally
including what weeds and mode's of action are of greatest concern, what
are the known resistance mechanisms, and how might this change over the
next 10 years?  Next, Dr. Bruce Maxwell from Montana State will discuss
past research looking at weedshifts, mechanistic studies, and modeling.
The next two speakers, Dr. Les Glasgow from Syngenta and President of
the North American Herbicide Resistance Action Committee (HRAC) and Mr.
Tom Fisher from UAP on the Delmarva Peninsula will discuss how the
commercial sector is dealing with herbicide resistance. Glyphosate
resistant horseweed will be at the center of the discussion.  Finally,
our own Dr. Mark VanGessel from the University of Delaware will finish
the session with why does it matter?   How can be we get farmers to
successfully implement resistance management practices or will we have
to wait until the they have the problem or should we look at alternative
strategies or even regulations (back to Sharlen Matten's presentation).
We plan to have some time at the end for questions and discussion with
the audience.

Finally, we are planning an Invasive Species Symposium scheduled for
Tuesday afternoon.  The focus of this session is managing invasive
species, while preserving endangered species.  There are several success
stories related to how we can successfully do this.  Dr. Rob Hedberg,
Director of Science Policy for WSSA is organizing the workshop and will
provide more details as they develop.

As in the past, the Northeast Region of the American Society of
Horticultural Sciences (NEASHS) will meet jointly with us in 2005 and
committee meetings will begin on Monday afternoon.  The Poster and the
General Session will begin Tuesday morning. There will be a Graduate
Student Mixer on Tuesday evening and a Society Social Mixer following
the business meeting on Wednesday afternoon.  As in the past, sectional
papers will begin Tuesday afternoon and will continue on Wednesday and
Thursday mornings.  If you have ideas or suggestions for the program or
would like to volunteer for Section Chair or other responsibilities,
please contact me or one of the following members of the program
committee.

2005 Program Chair
Bill Curran
NEWSS Vice President
116 ASI Bldg.
Crop and Soil Sciences
University Park, PA  16802
814-863-1014
wcurran at psu.edu

Agronomy Section
Section Chair: Sandra Shinn
                         Syngenta Crop Protection
                         67 Pinewood Road
                         Hudson, NY 12534
                         518-851-2122
                         Sandra.shinn at syngenta.com

Chair-Elect:     Hiwot Menbere
                         University of Maryland
                         1112 H. J. Patterson Hall
                         College Park, MD 20742
                         301-405-1334
                         hm22 at umail.umd.edu

Conservation, Forestry and Industrial Section
Section Chair:           Todd Mervosh
                         Connecticut Agric. Exp. Station
                         153 Cook Hill Road, P.O. Box 248
                         Windsor, CT 06095
                         860-683-4984
                         todd.mervosh at po.state.ct.us

Chair-Elect:             Rick Iverson
                         FMC Corporation
                         1735 Market Street
                         Philadelphia, PA 19103
                         215-299-6656
                         rick_Iverson at fmc.com

Ornamentals Section
Section Chair:           Annamarie Pennucci
                         Northeast Turf & Ornamental Research
                         4 Englewood Drive
                         Raymond, NH 03077
                         603-895-8480

Chair-Elect:             Robert Richardson
                         Michigan State University
                         Horticulture Department
                         East Lansing, MI 48824
                         517-980-2807
                         richa462 at mus.edu

Poster Section
Section Chair:           John Jemison
                         University of Maine
                         495 College Avenue
                         Orono, ME 04473-1294
                         207-581-3241
                         jjemison at umext.maine.edu

Chair-Elect:             Steve King
                         Virginia Tech University
                         Glade Road Research Center
                         Blacksburg, VA 24061
                         540-231-2463
                         stking4 at vt.edu

Turfgrass and Plant Growth Regulators Section
Section Chair:           Pete Dernoeden
                         University of Maryland
                         1112 H. J. Petersen Hall
                         College Park, MD 20742
                         301-405-1337
                         pdg at umail.umd.edu

Chair-Elect:             Mike Fidanza
                         Penn State University - Berks Campus
                         Tulpehocken Road
                         Reading, PA 19610
                         610-396-6330
                         maf100 at psu.edu

Vegetables and Fruit Section
Section Chair:           Marija Arsenovic
                         IR-4 Project
                         Rutgers University
                         601 US Highway #1 South
                         North Brunswick, NJ 08902-3390
                         732-932-9575
                         arsenovic at actb.rutgers.edu

Chair-Elect:             Chris Becker
                         BAAR Scientific LLC
                         6374 Rt. 89
                         Romulus, NY 14541
                         Becker89 at fltg.net

Weed Biology and Ecology Section
Section Chair:           Hilary Sandler
                         University of Massachusetts

Chair-Elect:             Eric Gallandt
                         University of Maine
(See attached file: Insert - TITLE_SUBMISSION_FORM 2004.doc)(See attached
file: Insert - TITLE_SUBMISSION_FORM 2004.pdf)