[APWG] Microstegium in West Virginia 05 04

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Mon May 17 11:31:05 CDT 2004

Dear APWG Members,

I am forwarding the following e-mail to you from a member of the MPWG
listserve who has been concerned about Japanese stilt grass in his area of
WV since last year.  Russ has been on a crusade to find suitable
eradication measures and to let others know about the problem.  The
conundrum is not just how to eradicate this invasive, but how to eradicate
it without compromising the environment, soil quality, seed bank, etc.  He
harvests NTFPs from his land - no one wants ginseng grown/harvested from a
region that's been sprayed.

Russ' impression is that Jap. stiltgrass is not on the radar screen in his
area - neither public land managers nor private landowners.  I understand
that Microstegium is considered a problem in the Southern Appalachians - so
it must be on someone's radar screen.

If any of you can suggest a good contact person with whom Russ could
exchange information or have another suggestion to assist him in
formulating his eradication effort, we would both greatly appreciate your
contacting him.  This is an issue that will undoubtedly need to be
addressed on a large scale and it is of particular interest to me to see
how this can be resolved in light of the NTFP harvesting.

Thank you,
Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 750
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 05/17/2004 12:20
PM -----
|---------+---------------------------------------->
|         |           ForestRuss at aol.com           |
|         |           Sent by:                     |
|         |           MPWG-bounces at lists.plantconse|
|         |           rvation.org                  |
|         |                                        |
|         |                                        |
|         |           05/14/2004 08:22 AM          |
|         |                                        |
|---------+---------------------------------------->
  |                                                                                                              |
  |        To:      MPWG at lists.plantconservation.org                                                             |
  |        cc:                                                                                                   |
  |        Subject: [MPWG] Microstegium in West Virginia 05 04                                                   |

M(Embedded image moved to file: pic12164.jpg)

The above photos were taken at Crummies Creek Tree Farm in Calhoun County
West Virginia in early May 2004.  The first two photos are of Japanese
stiltgrass seedlings from seed produced during the 2003 season that are
growing onto a rotted log.  The plants can be seen on the log and the brown
strands are the remains of last years' plants.....this is the very
beginning of an invasion deep in the woods.

The photo with the dime was taken 5 days after the stiltgrass emerged.  The
stiltgrass area in the dime photo was infested for the first time in
2003....In mid winter 2004, a grass fire went through the area when the
thatch from 2003 was burned....this pring, in this burned area, there was
an average germination of 125 Microstegium plants per square inch.

Try to grow ginseng, Goldenseal or even trees in the face of such an
invasion!

This invasion of central WV by Japanese stiltgrass is out of control and
has yet to be "officially" identified as a major threat to West Virginia's
forests and will likely manifest itself and become evident on several
hundred thousand acres of woodland in the 2004 growing season.

Russ Richardson _______________________________________________
MPWG mailing list
MPWG at lists.plantconservation.org

with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

Disclaimer
Any advice given on this list regarding diagnosis or treatments etc.
reflects ONLY the opinion of the individual who posts the message. The
information contained in posts is not intended nor implied to be a
substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific
medical condition or question. All medical and other healthcare information
that is discussed on this list should be carefully reviewed by the
individual reader and their qualified healthcare professional. Posts do not
reflect any official opinions or positions of the Plant Conservation
Alliance.