[APWG] 2005 Knotweed Conference Attendance?

Plant Conservation plant at plantconservation.org
Thu Jun 3 09:56:07 CDT 2004

Reply to Rita at the contact address/phone below.

----- Message from Rita Beard <rbeard at fs.fed.us> on Tue, 1 Jun 2004
13:58:17 -0600 -----

Knotweeds are of increasing concern in North America.  Already present on
both coasts including Alaska and now rapidly spreading to the interior of
the continent.  The Western Society of Weed Science (Weed Science
Society of America) is planning a symposium on knotweeds in conjunction
with the 2005 meeting in Vancouver, British Columbia.  We have an
informative and ambitious program planned (see the attached page that will
soon go on the web).  Our program will include a couple of world renowned
knotweed experts from the United Kingdom, John Bailey and Lois Child.
Knotweed has been an ongoing problem in the UK for some time. .

A number of factors are leading us to reconsider and possibly reschedule
this symposium:

The WSWS meeting is in Vancouver, some federal and state agencies are
not allowing international travel.

The 2005 WSWS meeting is in Vancouver, an expensive travel and
lodging destination.  Some may not be able to afford attending
the symposium.

Travel times to Vancouver are substantial.  Traveling across the
country may be time and cost prohibitive.

There is substantial cost in organizing, hosting and then bringing in
foreign keynote speakers.  We also want to ensure that everyone can take
advantage of this symposium and make sure that a sufficient audience can
be expected to justify the expense.

Please help us decide whether we should continue planning this meeting or
delay and reschedule, possibly in 2006 at either the WSSA meeting or WSWS
meeting.  We need to quickly have some notion on attendance numbers or
will the location and cost be prohibitive.  Please pass this message onto
anyone that may be interested.

Please send or contact Rita Beard rbeard at fs.fed.us  970 295-5745 with your
replies and questions by June 4th.
Will you or your folks likely attend a Knotweed Symposium, March 2005
Vancouver, BC

Rita E. Beard
U.S.D.A. Forest Service
Washington Office - Detached