[APWG] Polygonum Perfoliatum (Mile-a-minute) Eradication

Aaron Schlechter adschlec at alum.colby.edu
Wed Jul 28 12:51:16 CDT 2004

Greetings to all,
I am forwarding this request to several individuals and listserves.
I am seeking information and feedback for eradicating Polygonum
perfoliatum (mile-a-minute, devil's tail, etc.) from field experience.

Recently, the plant has been identified at one site, a stormwater BMP on
Staten Island, NY.  The site has much standing and running water and
planted wetlands.
Many individual (P. perfoliatum) plants have already produced ripe
seeds.
The plant is believed to have been introduced three years ago with
nursery material from NJ, MD, DE, or PA.
Currently, it is present in one acre of area with random distribution
and is not the dominant plant.
To date, we have hand-weeded with a professional landscape maintenance
crew and will continue to weed this week.
We will collect all material in plastic bags, tarps, or garbage cans for
off-site disposal.
We may burn the removed plants or compost them under a tarp.
We will spray a post-emergent herbicide in August or September.
We are considering a pre-emergent herbicide at the same time.  However,
the proximity to wetlands and waterways may preclude the application of
certain chemicals.
Hand-weeding will continue next spring as well.
We will continue to monitor this site, adjacent areas, and the lower watershed.

My questions:
What has worked to eradicate this plant for you?
Is it possible to eradicate it?
Should we keep all plant materials on site to avoid accidental spreading?
(*I have noticed that the thorns easily tear through plastic bags, and
tarps are notoriously porous).
Is burning necessary to destroy seeds?  Can we compost with a tarp?
How viable are the seeds?  How many years are the seeds viable for in
the soil?
What herbicides at what concentrations have you found successful?  [We
expect to apply gylphosate (rodeo) at a low concentration, with a
surfactant.  Also, the P. perfoliatum has invaded an area that was
planted in 2001 and cannot be boom-sprayed.]
Any other comments, prayers, or ideas?

Please respond directly to me:
aaron at creativehabitatcorp.com
I will be happy to speak to you on the phone as well if you prefer.
Thank you for your time, expertise, and concern.
Please feel free to distribute this to others who may be interested.
Sincerely,
Aaron

Aaron D. Schlechter
Project Manager