[APWG] purple loosestrife--and other roadside exotics

Cleary, Ruark Ruark.Cleary at dep.state.fl.us
Thu Jul 15 09:36:28 CDT 2004

Craig,

By my calculation, a "$90,000 per year, 5-year grant" comes to $450,000
total. If they are only in year two of doing test plots, then you can hardly
say that they have "set the price" on anything--other than the two-year cost
of a five-year project ($180,000). Plus if, as you say, they haven't
accomplished restoration (yet), then how can you say they have set the price
for a "restored" acre? To induce a per plant cost from the total project cost
and then extrapolate that out to some inferred per acre cost is nonsense.

When first establishing best management practices, you are going to have
procedures that don't work. The final result, and what it costs to replicate
that result, is where you "set the price" on a process. If you want to say
that what Caltrans is doing isn't working, then say that. But don't invent
some pseudo-economic analysis to justify your point.

-Rook

Ruark L. "Rook" Cleary
Upland Weeds Program
Bureau of Invasive Plant Management
3900 Commonwealth Blvd, MS 705
Tallahassee, Florida  32399-3000
ruark.cleary at dep.state.fl.us
Office: 850-245-2809 x4828
SunCom 205-2809, Fax 850-245-2835
<http://www.dep.state.fl.us/lands/invaspec/index.htm>

"If we are saying that the loss of species in and of itself is inherently
bad-I don't think we know enough about how the world works to say that."
-Interior Department Assistant Secretary Craig Manson, LA Times, 11/14/2003