[APWG] After you use Plateau (fwd)...then what? (fwd)

Marc Imlay ialm at erols.com
Tue Feb 17 06:13:32 CST 2004

There are seven site scenarios that require remarkably different control
regimes. Scenario 4 below is a generalized prescription for the site
described by Craig and Jack.

1.  Pristine.  These areas are typically less than 10% invaded (in terms
of biomass or canopy and cover of all invasive plant species cumulatively).
Recommend proactive strategy of identifying and protecting relatively
pristine areas from invasion.

2.  Very sensitive areas.  Recommend proactive strategy of identifying and
protecting areas supporting desirable species from invasion. The old saying
"protect the last of the least and the best of the rest" is one way to
distinguish between this and the previous priority.

3.  Somewhat more disturbed areas.  This classification would include areas
with a 10-30% cover of invasives. Selectivity is extremely important because
monocultures of invasives have not necessarily formed yet.

4.  Very large, generally disturbed areas. Identify remnant patches of
native vegetation for sensitive control followed by aggressive treatments
of the monocultures, including revegetation with native species, biological
control, and extensive spraying.

5.  Areas undergoing ecosystem function restoration.  For such areas
undergoing restoration of nutrient depleted eroded areas, natural mosaic
pattern of fire, cropland and plantations to natural systems, biological
migration corridors, and hydrological or wetland restoration remove alien
invasive species that benefit from the restoration before it actually
begins.

6.  Areas undergoing rapid conversions into monocultures by particularly
aggressive species.  These site conditions would apply to any type of
project including but not limited to residential, rangeland/farms,
backcountry, aquatic wetland, right-of-way, etc.

7. Scenario of bare ground -highly disturbed due to development (including
road-building and gravel pit areas) and active farming. Bare ground is
vulnerable to infestations from a) within the existing soil, imported soils,
seed mixes, mulches; and from b) adjacent seed propagules across the
fence line. This is a prevention arena with possible predictions that should
be made and planned for (included in specifications that defines chemical
use when species requires) so that these invasives waiting to happen have
little chance to infest.

Marc