[APWG] Euonymus Hybridizing between alatus and americanus?

SteveYoung at aol.com SteveYoung at aol.com
Wed Dec 8 19:49:38 CST 2004

My local park (Long Branch Nature Center/Glencarlyn Park, Arlington, VA)  has
populations of the native Euonymus americanus (Hearts-a-burstin',
Strawberrybush) and the exotic invasive, Euonymus alatus (Winged Euonymus,  Burning
Bush). I have seen some plants that sure look like they are a hybrid of  the two
species. Does anyone know whether such hybrids have been reported, or  have you
made similar observations that you can share? I eliminate the obvious
individuals of Eu. alatus, but some of the "hybrids" really have me stymied and  I'm
debating the best approach to take with them. Any info is greatly
appreciated. Cheers,

    Steve